6 January-1 February 1971

6 January 1971
A lot of the time I would hear that we were the forgotten troops, but I never did feel that way.

7 January 1971
I began to send money home.  I was able to save $1800 by the time my tour was over, and it was to credit of my father that I was able to save it.  On this day, I sent in $115, which $15 went for tithing.  I was a full tithe payer the whole time I was there.

11 January 1971
It's getting to seem more like a vacation than being in a war zone.  My job is working out perfect.  I've got a lot to do, and I am my own boss.  It's about 75-80 degrees everyday.  They say the coldest it will ever get is around 60 and that will be at night.  which was true.  They had a slot car track and I bought a car and hand control, but never did much with it.  I was around 210 lbs. and my goals was 230, which was too much.

13 January 1971
I changed my name to Steve Ault, but it didn't last long.

17 January 1971
Everything is running smooth over here.  I started inventory Friday.  I got to check all the serial numbers on all items that goes in the armory.  It is going to take a while, but it will be fun.  I got a letter from the Hoerman this day, and a letter from Danny Hewett.  Danny had always wanted to be a trooper, but he got married instead.




20 January 1971
I got my government drivers license today.  it was easy.  I just sit in a class fora few hours, and drove a truck around the block. Later getting my jeep license was a little harder, but I got that too.

22 January 1971
I've really been catching it lately.  Ever since I got that job in the armory, everyone's been saying I am scared.  I guess i'm suppose to sweat blood or something.  People can't understand I like changing jobs to learn more.  I've got a good friend named Allen Manely.  I left y confidence get shaken too easily.  Old Manely helps me build it back up.  I just can't stand people telling me I can't do this or that or telling me I'm scared of being in a bunker.  I don't even know how brave or what kind of courage I do have.  I need testing bad.  I guess it's all part of growing up.  This place is full of nuts anyway.  What I feel now is that they wanted my job.

24 January 1971
I went to church today.  Six people showed up.  I really enjoyed every minute.  I'll be making it every Sunday from now on.  I started reading the Book of Mormon yesterday.  I'm on 2 Nephi Chapter 10.  I've learned a lot.  I sure would like a copy of the D&C, if you could send me, I would enjoy reading it.  My mom sent me a triple combination.

31 January 1971
Went to church for the second time this month.  Six people showed up, but I really enjoyed myself.  I was asked to be a home teacher.  Me and Sergeant Perryman will work together and try to get some of the guys out.  I got a room all to myself now.  They built a special hut for the armory personnel, and I got a room that only one person can stay in.  I've got it made now.  So I thought, later on a black guy moved in, and there wasn't enough room, so I had to move.

1 February 1971
Still alive, we got hit today at 6:10 AM.  Six 122 mm Russian made rockets hit.  No one hurt.  I never really did hear them go off, but I sure thought of one coming in through the roof.  Me and a friend of mine named Manely laid there on the floor for a few seconds, until a guy named Cowan came over and told us to get up.  Of course he laughed at us.  It was a matter of if you had been through a rocket attack on how everyone treated you.  The more of them that you had been through the tougher of a guy you were to have been.

Comments

Popular Posts