3-8 February 1971

3 February1971
We got hit February first.  My heart goes to my throat every time I hear that siren go off.  It's funny after it's over, but your scared that your number may come up or one of your friends might get his.  Anyway, I know there's a war going on.  The rumor was the base was to close July 31, but it didn't.

4 February 1971
I'm having a good time while I'm over here.  Sitting under the old air conditioner and getting a good tan.  The nights have been cold, but good sun keeps me warm, everything will be just fine.  I've got some good friends to see this whole thing through with.  We all share the same type problems.  I spent most of my time going to the shows.

8 February 1971
I just haven't been my old self lately.  Anyway I know ya'll want o know how i'm making out and what I think of Vietnam.  We got mamasons that clean up our rooms, shine boots, and wash cloths.  It cost $4.00 per month.  They live off base and work from 7-4 everyday except Sunday.  It stays hot all the time.  I've taken about 40 pictures, but I haven't gotten them developed yet.  The mosquitoes are bad right now, but I sleep under a mosquito net, and it keeps most of them out.  One night I woke up and about 1,000 mosquitoes were trying to get at me.  Vietnam isn't like everyone says it is.  I'm sure there's a war going on out there, but I don't sit around and worry about it.  I mostly think about what I'm going to do when I get home.  I'm sick of the service, so is a few thousand others.  I don't feel like I'm doing anything more important than anyone else.  I guess when I get home I'll be a hero for a while.  My day runs like this-get up at 7:00 AM, go to the armory, clean barrels and mop floors, and quit around 3 PM.  Then I go play some ball and write a few letters.  Then sleep.  That's the way it is.



Comments

Popular Posts