26 February-13 March 1971

Robert Ault and Paul Beemer


26 February 1971
I sent money home.  I had a goal of $1800 set, and made it.

27 February 1971
I want to be as far away from the Air Force as I can when I get back. Two years is enough of putting up with all the extras you get when you live on base.

28 February 1971
Went to church today.  I've got to give a talk in sacrament meeting the second Sunday in March.

1 March 1971
I've been in some what of a slump.  They're trying to get me to sign up for the custodian account for the armory, but I'm not going to do it.  Got some sad news from home.  Texas Eastman had blown up.  A friend of mine was killed.  His name was Larry Wells.  I've known him ever since I moved to Longivew. He was a good guy.  He was one of the guys I tried to always come up with a better looking car.  I feel like death is always in the next second.  I say my prayers in the evening and morning now.  Thanking God I'm still alive.  If something does happen to me, just make things simple, let Alpheaus be the head man.  I don't want anyone crying, because I will be at peace.

4 March 1971
I've been going out to the firing range and shooting what weapons we have in the armory.  The days are really flying.  This is one place where time doesn't drag.  I still like it over here.  It's fun.  We have a lot of cook outs.  We grill ribs and chicken form the chow hall and put them on the grill and put it away.

8 March 1971
I got a good tan.  I would like to fix up a 68 Ford Mustang when I get back.

9 March 1971
As for me wanting to get where the action is, well it's all happening in Laos.  Besides if nothing happens at Phu Cat I will never see any part of the war, that ya'll read about.  All I know about what's going on over here is what I read in the newspaper.  I like the peace and quite I enjoy it here.  It gives me a chance to think things over.  We're restricted to base.  Although working at the armory, we do make trips to Qui Yan Valley which is about 20 miles from here.  It is a safe route.


10 March 1971
Finally 100 days in country.  It's been quiet because of Laos.  Hope it stays that way.  A lot of the guys are leaving.  It makes it hard to see someone leave and you're still here, but the new guys come in and you feel like an old timer at last, while the war goes on. A story at this point, I don't remember the guy's name, however someone told this new comer that the safest place at night was in a bunker.  Well, this old boy was on his way with all of his stuff to sleep in a bunker.  Little did he know that the K-9 troops would probably kill him.  Luckily, he was picked up and brought back.

12 March 1971
As soon as my birthday gets here, I'm over the hill.  I'm not the clerk in the armory.  It's too much of a headache.  I'm just going to be a regular armor.  We're getting a lot of new people in this week.  We've got a bunch of guys leaving.

13 March 1971
I got the bathing suit.  I think it's real pretty and just the right size.  Plus, I got a pecan pie that was ruined.  It looked like it froze then melted.  I didn't go to church last Sunday because I just didn't want to.  I've got to make a talk this Sunday.  I've got a lot of church work to do now that I've accepted that new job.  My mother sent me a zipper cover for my 3 in one and the Marvelous Work and a Wonder.


 


Comments

Popular Posts