17 November-25 February 1971

17 November 1971
The Hoerman's were the people from Gainesville, MO, who sent me the ditty bag and I got it.  It had a card in it, so I wrote a thank you letter.  They've started writing.  


We had two security copes blown to bits last week.  They were outside the fence chasing some cows away, and hit a land mine.  Blew the jeep in half, and they were all over the place.  I remember that night very well, first everyone looked every where, but where they last reported out.  We listened to the radio, and it was really scary.  They first hooked onto the bodies with ropes and drug them away from the sight, then in doing so, checking for booby traps.  I knew the guys.  I had handed out their weapons to them at noon.  One of the guys only had 6 months left in the service (20 years), the other guy had two months left to go, and his wife just had a new baby.  Later on I rebuilt the weapons that had been destroyed into workable weapons.  I got my 5 level which makes me able to take the waps testing to be a sergeant.  I don't know if I'll make it, but they have to give it to you in 40 months, so I'll be a sergeant for months anyway.  I could care less if I make it our not.

18 February 1971
It would be advisable not to send pies and cakes because they will be ruined by the time they get here.  I went home teaching the other night with Major Smith, the Branch President.  We made all the people, but most of them party all the time or just don't like going to church.  The air conditioner broke down, and it has been HOT for the last few days.  I have to march in. a parade tomorrow.  They call it Change of Command Ceremonies.  It will be one big drag.

19 February 1971
I showed some of the guys the picture of my mother, and they thought she was one of my girlfriends.  I moved out of the room I had to myself.  They put a bunk and another locker, so I moved into a larger room.  The war in this area has cooled down.  It's all in Laos now.  I hope it stays there, got too much to be doing and things to see, so I hope it stays there until I get home.

20 February 1971
I'm now the full time clerk.  Got a lot of work to do everyday really staying busy, got a good bunch of guys to work with.

21 February 1971
I'm still alive and living in Vietnam.  We received three rockets this morning.  Today is Monday, and we got 4 more at 5:40 this afternoon.  Old Charlie boy is really active this week.  This is the first time anybody has been hit during the day.  They didn't do any damage and no one was hurt.  Life goes on.  Other then that it's been really nice, but getting hot.  One of those rockets that hit in the morning blew away a supply building.  Just minutes before a man had walked out of it.

24 February 1971
Guess what?!  Give up!?  We've been under attack since Sunday.  We got rockets on Monday and Wednesday both times during the day.  How about that? Don't worry, I keep low and alert.  I almost wrecked a ton 1/2 truck last night. I was posting men on their post, and had finished all except one.  We were doing about thirty and the steering broke.  I shifted to second, gently applied the brakes and came to a stop about 2 feet from a. steel stake and 3 inches from turning over in a 3 foot ditch.  It was really something, but it didn't shake me at all.  I know now the Lord is watching over me.  As long as I live the commandments, I don't worry.  I got those books today.  They are really nice.  I'm going to read every night, and learn and try to do a little missionary work while I'm here.

25 February 1971
Everything is cool now.  It's still like being on vacation.  Laid out in the sun, I tried to get a tan.  I've been working fairly hard.  The guys have been leaving their ammo out on post.  jWe drive around ever so often and clean out the bunkers and towers.  The three month blues struck today.  We were supposed to get hit again tonight.





Comments

Popular Posts