16 April-2 May 1971

16 April 1971
We're remodeling the armory, it's going to be really nice, when we get through.  We painted the insides blue, and added some racks.  The mail has been really messed up this week.  We've gotten 15 bags this whole week.


18 April 1971
I plant to call tonight if ya'll aren't home I'll call next week.  It shouldn't cost over a dollar or two. It's through the mars station or by radio.  If ya'll don't get to talk to me this week be home at 10:00 AM Sunday afternoon.  You might have to miss church.  I really don't know what the time difference is, but I think it's 10 or 12 hours different.  I've gained 20 lbs. since I've been in the service.  This place is really a test for my mental and physical endurance, but others have made it, and I will too.  My church work is coming along slow, I'm just worn out most of the time.  I plan to do my home teaching Monday, and get it out of the way.  I'm really in bad shape.  I got a pot gut, and my eyes are turning black around them.  I got a few wrinkles, age is finally catching up with me.

20 April 1971
My phone call to my folks go though to them, but I was at the armory to speak to them.

21 April 1971
I just wanted ya'll to know I was doing alright, and it is not as bad as I thought it would be, and I love you both a great deal.

23 April 1971
I figured this would be the slowest month over here, but gone by in a hurry.

24 April 1971
I had to get some shots today, made my arm kinda sore.  I shouldn't have to have very many more.  We have a bunch of Korean living next door to the base.  About 30 helicopters landed today, and took a bunch of them on a search and destroy mission.  It was really something to see.  They had all their combat gear on.  some information on some of my friends:  Joe Preido-from LA 20 years old, raised in LA California, Spanish decent, doesn't know Spanish very well.  Allen Manely, from the hills of South Caroling, called ridge runner, 21 years old, pure hick.  Carlos Flores, from New York, 20 years, Spanish or Puerto Rican, mostly mouth.

25 April 1971
I'm up for sergeant in September.  I'll know then if I made it, I feel like I did, but you can never tell.  This place can really get you down.  Now I'm fixing to start my sixth month, and it's six big ones to go.  It doesn't seem such along time.  I sure will be glad to leave.  I don't see why people want to come back or extend, this isn't one bit fun or exciting, just one big test of your nerves and religion, but I'll make it, because I have a wonderful family, and I'm proud to serve my country.  One thing good about this place, you grow up about 5 more years, and see your not as smart as you thought you were.  I was reading in the Longview paper where all the kids were getting married, and a lot of them had college education.  I figured I better get one before I settle down.  I can use that GI bill and that will just about put me through, but if I was married it sure would be hard.  One thing I do have over a lot of people, I've been to Vietnam, got most of my service behind me, and nearly everyone that I read about, have to go through what I'm doing now, so I'm doing alright.

27 April 1971
I was off today.  I didn't get up until 2:00, then me and Manely went swimming, and to the show, and Manely moved, so I helped him move now.  I dropped a M-79 grenade launcher on my toes a few days back, and it looks like the nail will come off.  Manely wants me and Joe to buy motorcycles and ride across the United States.

1 May 1971
Tropical storm Wanda has passed.  It really rained a lot today.  I dread the monsoon season.  The armor is really a mess.  It's really going to be a lot of work getting it to look right.  I moved from the room I was, back to where I used to live.  it's called the barn. It's a lot more room, and a lot cooler.

2 May 1971
Everything is about normal.


Comments

Popular Posts